Focus Cosworth

Focus ST Forum

Hilfe Unterstützen FOCUS ST:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And your brake disc looks shredded too. What happened? Did the brake pad disintegrate?
All in all I hope you get the Cossie up and running again soon.

Wheel bearing collapsed on the way to Belgium (so no problems at the Ring, having fun with the M5 Ring Taxi orngbiggrin ) so the wheel went on an angle and the rotor caught the caliper pad retaining lug. That's what the scoring is from :(

So, 230 euro for a new rotor and bolts and the head gasket is just one of those things I have to get around to fixing. But this engine is 7 years old, driven to all events, track days, completed 12 Nurburgring trips and driven all the way to Gatebil in Norway. So she's done well, just hope that all the damage I need to repair.

Very reliable car for the past 7 years :(

Ouch - that sounds quite painful. [0153.gif

230 quid just for the rotor isn't too cheap. And depending on the wear, the other one on the front axle should be replaced too.

Wish you the best of luck that nothing else got damaged due to the blown head gasket. But as you said, surviving several track days, touristenfahrten on the Nordschleife and more with that amount of power - I think it has done its deeds.

By the way, had fun in the Ringtaxi? Who was your your driver? I had the Ring-queen (Sabine Schmitz) throwing me and the M5 around the Ring. It was a quite scary, yet awesome experience. orngbiggrin

No, it was too slow, it couldn't pass me lachen*

If I want a really good lap though, my friend who drives in the VLN called Max Fredhoff normally takes me out.

The other brake disc is relatively new, so really no wear. So I won't replace it.

Ah, sorry! I've misread that and thought you were having fun IN the RingTaxi as a passenger lachen* lachen*

New tyre, bearing and rotor fitted; all of which didn't need changing in pairs because they were all very new (apart from the bearing). So fitted them last night after work. Just need to find the time to sort the head now and then back to the Nurburgring in September :) 

Very nice. Any news about the gasket so far?

Are those Federal 595 RS-R? Can you tell me more about them? Because I wanted to get them next year as summer-dailies and I am still unsure if they will work for me or not.

I rate them as good as the Toyo R888, but they also last longer and are around 90 euros each for 225/40/18. I love them, very good tyre.

The head gasket will just need reneweing, I also have a spare head just in case there's a problem with mine. So once that's done, I'll be back to Germany in September.

So far so good. Clear head gasket failure, which I'm not too bothered about. These normally last 4 years and have a max boost pressure of 26psi from what I've seen, so with 31psi peak it's last 7 years. A lotta trips and track abuse in that time, happy with that.

More so, that there's no cracks on the head or block :)

Since the head work and gasket, I've been working on the rear turrets recently. It's always been something I wanted to tackle because, well as the pictures suggest they resemble a bit of work that was rushed to get the car sold. Which is a shame, because the rest of the car and front turrets are bang on. I might be a bit unfair, but regardless they needed sorting. So there's a couple of issues to content with, primarily the fuel tank in the way and the limited amount of material to work with. So I purchased some really tidy Sierra turrets, ground them down, rust treated and zinc primered. Then cut out the old top hats and just trimmed the new turrets to size in order to fit through the hole from underneath. 

Pics don't really do justice for the final product after seam sealing and stone chipping, but the turrets are far better and stronger than before. Now being double skin layered, the rear can withstand the coilover abuse as it does not have the spring in the beam and it's rosejointed throughout. No pics of the inside yet, which I'll spend more time on to make more visually pleasing than inside the arch. 

Old turret

New turrets

???????

Found a bit of play in the turbo, so that’s had a full overhaul including a new core and bearing. Map check at SCS next.

​​​​​​​

Neueste Beiträge

Oben